SiteRecordings

SiteReference: 

RecordingGroup

General

AutoID: 

9/2/050/0017 - Tue, 2012-08-07 02:00

Author: 

sahrisprojectmanager

PrimaryRecording?: 

Yes

Directions: 

LOW LANDMARK VALUE. STANDS ON SCHOOL GROUNDS

SiteComments: 

Archive Import
History: This stone building was officailly opened as a raliway station on 1 May 1877. After the relocation it was acquired in 1933 by the De Vos Malan Primary School. The building is now used as School Board offices.

The old station is closely associated with the history of the extension of the railway line from East London to the north.

Discussions end surveys with regard to the siting of the Railway line from East London to the North were commenced in the early 1870s and ultimately in 1873 the line and station at panmure (East London) was commenced, it having then been determined that King Willia_x0019_s Town would be on a spur line from Blaney. On.1 May 1877 the King Willia_x0019_s Town station, was officially opened and taken into use. The line and shunting yard took up all the space belonging to the Grey Hospital between Alexandra Road and Lonsdale Street, Mount Street and Queens Street. In 1929 a new Station was built and portion of the railway shunting yard was used to build De Vos Malan Primary School (1933). Later a part of the remaining land (except for the old station and the Stationmaste⁲_x0019_s house) was transferred to the education authorities (for De Vos Malan). In due course the old station building was taken over by the King Willia_x0019_s Town School Board to be used as offices.
Visual Description: The building is a simple elongated rectangle in shape and is remarkable for the magnificent stonework, two varieties having been used, for walling and window and door surrounds respectively. The interior has been altered to suit the present use. The exterior has been altered to a certain extent. The roof remains hipped but has been rebuilt. Double timber front doors centrally placed, 12 pane sashes.
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition: EXCELLENT
Construction Date: 1877
Materials: CORRUGATED IRON ROOF ON STONE WALLS
Catalogue: Frescura, 1987 (a), No: 021, Significance Category:

AdminComments: 

 
 

Search form