SiteRecordings

SiteReference: 

RecordingGroup

General

AutoID: 

9/2/081/0054 - Tue, 2012-08-07 02:00

Author: 

sahrisprojectmanager

PrimaryRecording?: 

Yes

Directions: 

SiteComments: 

Archive Import
History: This land was one of the original erven granted in Simonstown. Built in 1816 by PJ Truter Jnr, Collector of Customs who owned it until 1842. In 1840 it was leased by the government as a temporary isolation hospital for smallpox patients, and in the following years became a private boarding school for boys. In 1868 it was sold to the British War Department and served as the Garrison Officers' Mess until 1921, after which it was used more recently as the Commanding Officer's Residence.
Visual Description:
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition:
Construction Date: 1816c
Materials:
Catalogue: Simonstown, No: 031, Significance Category:

AdminComments: 

 
 

Search form