9/2/081/0025 - Tue, 2012-08-07 02:00







Archive Import
History: The Homestead which is situated in Montrose Avenue overlooks the Fish Hoek valley and into the setting sun. The house, which originally consisted of a “voorkamer” with rooms leading off to the left and right, with a high pitched roof (presumably thatch) The walls were low and to accommodate this the doors are of normal width but low requiring one to bend your head when passing through. The present owner removed the dilapidated boards and took the ceiling into the loft area giving the rooms a pleasant vaulted appearance. A hearth which was presumably built shortly after the erection of the house was so big that it is now used as a dining alcove. To accommodate this an “afdak” was built consisting, today, of a kitchen, pantry, dining room, storeroom, toilet and bathroom - not large but adequate. A verandah was added over a high stoep. On the right end a “stoepkemer” was fitted in. This part is the most recent addition possibly dating from the twenties judging by the twin—type of masonry pillars which supports the verandah roof. The house is whitewashed with timber and roof painted black and hedged in with shrubs, trees and a high front boundary wall. Cobbled paths lead through a neat and well kept garden.
Clovelly which was originally known as “Klein Tuin” during the Dutch East India Company’s sojourn, originally formed part of the Fish Hoek Valley which was divided in 1827 into three separate sections and allocated to owners. Photographic evidence from this period shows the original portion of the house already in existence. The back portion thereof is reputed to have been built during the latter half of the nineteenth century. This is the oldest house in the Clovelly valley.
Visual Description:
Site Features: High white plastered boundary wall
Condition: Good
Construction Date:
Materials: Corrugated iron roof, plastered brickwork
Catalogue: , No: , Significance Category:



Search form