SiteRecordings

SiteReference: 

RecordingGroup

General

AutoID: 

9/2/081/0004 - Tue, 2012-08-07 02:00

Author: 

sahrisprojectmanager

PrimaryRecording?: 

Yes

Directions: 

SiteComments: 

Archive Import
History: This building was originally erected in February 1673 by the Dutch East India Company as a military observation post. It was later also used as a civilian dwelling-house and was owned by Sir J. B. Robinson from 1915 to 1929.
Visual Description:
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition:
Construction Date:
Materials: Thatch on stone (painted)
Catalogue: , No: , Significance Category:

AdminComments: 

De Posthuys is claimed to be one of the first buildings erected in the country. It was presumably built as a three-roomed signal station by the VOC in 1673 - a year before the Castle in Cape Town was occupied. The Anglo American Corporation, together wi Bibliography archive:
 
 

Search form