SiteRecordings

SiteReference: 

RecordingGroup

General

AutoID: 

NGO-009 - 14/01/2011

Author: 

sandiswa.mkuba

RecordingDate: 

14/01/2011 - 12:40 to 06/09/2022 - 12:40

PrimaryRecording?: 

Yes

AlternateName: 

Site G9

Recorders: 

Karen Van Ryneveld

SiteComments: 

Site G9 (S31Å33 49.5”; E28Å12’48.2”) is situated approximately 25-30m from the proposed line route, on the opposite side of the main access road running east of the Gqaga Administrative Area. The site comprises of fairly contemporary ruins of a clay-brick hut. The hut is believed to have fallen in disuse after a new church building was constructed. Children in the vicinity of the site could not provide a date for the building but a rough 1970’s / 1980’s date can be ascribed thereto. To the north of the new church building are the remains of the old mission church, inferred to date to the early 1900’s. The small, what seems to be a one room structure is reasonably well conserved. Locked at the time of the assessment, no comment can be raised regarding conservation of interior features. A number of gum trees (Eucalyptus) characteristically typify the immediate cultural landscape of the Colonial church building.

RecordingMedia: 

  • Digital Photos
  • GPS
 
 

Search form