Sites

9/2/003/0015

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

29

FullSiteName: 

Hayton's Building, 94 High Street, Grahamstown

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Group content visibility: 

Public - accessible to all site users

Author: 

Anonymous

FeaturedSite?: 

NO
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: This building is an excellent example of an early three-storeyed building built in two sections to a symmetrical plan. The first section dates from 1860-62 and the latter section from the late 1860s. The facade of this building is of outstanding architectural merit and is unequalled by any other of its period in South Africa.

This building marks the enterprise of an early gunsmith, John Hayton, who carried on his shop here between 1850 and 1873 when he retired a wealthy man. It was also his family home. The first half of the present building was erected in 1860/62 and the second half completed in the late 1860’s. The building is in itself the finest example of an early three-storeyed building built in two sections to a symmetrical plan. The plaster in the Inigo Jones style of entablature with cable moulding is not equalled anywhere in South Africa.
Visual Description: The Divisional Council Building is a three-storeyed building built in two sections. Each section has its own hipped roof; the floors are served by two staircases, - one in front and one of steeper gradient and narrower at the back. Large yellow wood beams support the first floor. The pediment sets off a fine moulded cornice above an entablature of dental ornaments and small rose medallions. The Romanesque cable moulding of second and third floor windows are extremely well executed. Rusticated quoins and centre moulding emphasize the smooth simplicity of the cable moulding of the second and third floor windows. The windows are notable for the delicate rails of the sashes.

The original asymmetrical arrangement of three doors and three windows on the ground floor of the facade was brought into a better symmetry d the later half of the nineteenth century. Internal alterations to suit professional tenants have been carried out from time to time.

Triple storey with two hipped roofs. Plastered facade. Solid parapet and cornice. Central and side quoining. Gable mouldings to upper windows. Small pane sash windows. Ground floor rusticated with large pane sash windows. Ground floor rusticated with large pane sash windows. Double storey stone cottage at rear.
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition: Good
Construction Date: 1860-1862
Materials:
Catalogue: Radford 1989 (a), No: D.6, Significance Category:

Admin Comments:
SEE VAN DER RIET V11 6-8. Bibliography archive:
 
 

Search form