Sites

9/2/003/0050

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

60

FullSiteName: 

Grocott's Mail, 40 High Street, Grahamstown

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Group content visibility: 

Public - accessible to all site users

Author: 

Anonymous

FeaturedSite?: 

NO
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: The gable of this impressive building, with its Victorian and Flemish features, bears the dates 1869 to 1906. The present façade was added in 1906 after the devastating fire. This rebuilding was designed by the architect, H Walker. The building forms an integral part of the architectural character of High Street, and is an important link in the history of Grahamstown.

The high Victorian Flemish revival style facade replaced the - original heavy facade which was destroyed in the fire of 1906. The main structure dates from 1869.

This portion of lot 9 was originally occupied by a long narrow building which was the residence of Landdrost Harry Rivers (1821-25). Hereafter it was occupied by the ""Eastern Star"". Grocott’s Mail acquired the property in 1869. The founder of the firm was Mr Thomas. Grocott.
In 1906 the front of the building was burnt down but the rear and the printing works-were unscathed. The building was restored in 1906 and the front gable bears the dates 1869-1906.
This property not only forms an important link in the history of Grahamstown but the building in itself forms an integral part of the architectural character of High Street.
Visual Description: The building consists of a double storeyed structure with a very flamboyant gabled front, interesting eclectic arches, mock balconies, tall sash windows, entablatures, broken cornice and mouldings and perforate gable. This high Victorian Flemish revival style facade replaced the - original heavy facade which was destroyed in the fire of 1906.Ornate gable above cornice. Steep pedimented hoods above sash windows with lastered balconettes. Verandah partly obscuring florid original shop window. Interesting interiors and fittings.

The building itself is a long narrow structure which fills the main site, with a bookshop in the front and a printing works at the rear. The front shop is protected by a curved corrugated verandah supported on cast iron pillars of intricately moulded form.
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition: Good
Construction Date: 1869;1906
Materials:
Catalogue: Radford 1989 (a), No: E.12, Significance Category:

 
 

Search form