Sites

9/2/003/0061

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

68

FullSiteName: 

Old Provost, Lucas Avenue, Grahamstown

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Group content visibility: 

Public - accessible to all site users

Author: 

Anonymous

FeaturedSite?: 

NO
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: The Provost Building was one of the buildings that formed part of Sir Benjamin D’Urban’s 1835 defence plan, coupled with the fortification of the drostdy and Fort Selwyn. It was very efficiently planned and was built by the Royal Engineers on instructions of Sir Benjamin D’Urban between 1836 and 1838.
The building was not quite finished when it was first occupied. Some Hottentots of the Cape Corps at Peddle revolted, and it became necessary to send twenty suspects
under escort to Grahamstown. Near Fraser’s Camp about 32 kilometres from Grahamstown the Hottentots treacherously shot one of the guards, Ensign Crowe, and escaped. They were recaptured and imprisoned in the Provost Building. Two of the ringleaders were eventually executed on the outskirts of Grahamstown in the presence of Sir George Napier and Col. Harry Smith.
The Provost Building served as a gaol for most of the nineteenth century.
Visual Description: It is situated in the grounds of the former drostdy, near the Albany Museum and Botanical Gardens. The cells were arranged in a semicircle. This tower contained quarters for the Provost and a guard-house overlooking the cells, the courtyard and the entrance.
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition:
Construction Date:
Materials:
Catalogue: , No: , Significance Category:

 
 

Search form