Sites

9/2/018/0053

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

29281

FullSiteName: 

Green Point Lighthouse, Cape Town

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Author: 

Anonymous
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: This lighthouse, which was built by Hermann Schutte and probably also designed by him, is the oldest structure of its kind in South Africa. Construction work started on 14 September 1821, and the lighthouse was officially opened on 12 April 1824. It originally consisted of a tower surmounted by two lanterns. The present light was erected in 1865, improved in 1906 and electrified in 1929. Standing 65 feet above high water, it has an intensity of 850,000 candelas and a range of 13¾ miles. A foghorn was installed in 1926.
Visual Description:
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition:
Construction Date: 1824
Materials:
Catalogue: , No: , Significance Category:

Admin Comments:
Bibliography archive: Williams, Harold 'Southern Lights' (1993) pp 1-7
 
 

Search form