Sites

9/2/018/0186

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

29197

FullSiteName: 

South African National Library, Cape Town

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Group content visibility: 

Public - accessible to all site users

Author: 

Anonymous

FeaturedSite?: 

NO
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: The old building of the South African Library was designed by W. H. Kohler in the neo-classical style. The foundation stone was laid by Sir George Grey in 1858 and the building was officially opened by Prince Alfred in 1860.

The library was establsihed by Government proclamation in 1818, and was managed by a committee that was empowered to raise funds by imposing a tax on every cask of wine passing through the Cape Town market. This wasremoved in 1828 from when the lebrary existed purely from subscribers - until 1862 when a governement grant was made available.
Visual Description:
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition:
Construction Date: 1858-1860
Materials:
Catalogue: Rennie, Vol 2, No: 077.06, Significance Category:

Admin Comments:
Bibliography archive: f & c, 01.029, p 49
 
 

Search form