Sites

9/2/073/0037

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

27870

FullSiteName: 

T S Lanherne, Humewood Road, Port Elizabeth

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Group content visibility: 

Public - accessible to all site users

Author: 

Anonymous

FeaturedSite?: 

NO
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: This impressive Victorian house was erected in 1894 for Mr R. H. Hammersley-Heenen, resident engineer and general manager of the railways. During the Second World War it served as a convalescent home for soldiers, sailors and airmen. 1 303 of whom were treated here. In 1960 it was sold to the Municipality of Port Elizabeth, which in 1967 leased the property to the International Youth Hostel Association for accommodation purposes. In 1979 the Naval Cadet Corps took over the lease.
The majestic Norfolk pines next to the building were cultivated from seeds obtained from the Canary Islands."
Visual Description:
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition:
Construction Date: 1894
Materials:
Catalogue: , No: , Significance Category:

 
 

Search form