Sites

9/2/081/0004

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

27728

FullSiteName: 

Posthuys, Main Road, Muizenberg, Cape Town

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Citation Type Date Retrieved
http://www.sahra.org.za/heritage-reports/de-posthuys-summary-main-archaeological-observations-correlated-documented-research Other Publication 29/08/2014
http://m24arg02.naspers.com/argief/berigte/dieburger/1987/06/06/2/17.html Website

Group content visibility: 

Public - accessible to all site users

Author: 

Anonymous

FeaturedSite?: 

NO
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: This building was originally erected in February 1673 by the Dutch East India Company as a military observation post. It was later also used as a civilian dwelling-house and was owned by Sir J. B. Robinson from 1915 to 1929.
Visual Description:
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition:
Construction Date:
Materials: Thatch on stone (painted)
Catalogue: , No: , Significance Category:

Admin Comments:
De Posthuys is claimed to be one of the first buildings erected in the country. It was presumably built as a three-roomed signal station by the VOC in 1673 - a year before the Castle in Cape Town was occupied. The Anglo American Corporation, together wi Bibliography archive:
 
 

Search form