Sites

9/2/081/0008

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

27724

FullSiteName: 

60 Simonstown Road, Fish Hoek

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Author: 

Anonymous
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: Both 60 and 62 originally formed part of the farm owned by K.S. de Villiers, known as the land baron of the area. He died in 1916 and the property was soon afterwards subdivided into lots to form the township now known as Fish Hoek.
NO. 60 SIMONSTOWN ROAD was sold to Jacob Walter Charles de Smidt on 28 March 1919 and on his death it was transferred to his widow. Transfer was registered on 13 September 1935. On 10 March 1937 it was sold to John de Villiers van Ryneveld who in turn sold it to the present owner Elise van der Riet. Transfer was registered on 23 December 1941. The cottage on the property originally consisted of an elongated three—roomed structure built in 1919. It was enlarged at a later stage by the addition of a covered verandah flanked by two stoep rooms as well as a kitchen, toilet and bathroom at the rear. The thatched roof has since been replaced by slate, but both side gables with their mouldings and loft vents have been retained. The cottage has been well maintained.
Visual Description:
Colours:
Site Features: Large tree (stone pine)
Condition: Fair
Construction Date: 1919
Materials: Corrugated iron on plastered brick
Catalogue: , No: , Significance Category:

 
 

Search form