Sites

9/2/081/0039

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

27713

FullSiteName: 

Admiralty House, St Georges Street, Simonstown

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Group content visibility: 

Use group defaults

Author: 

Anonymous

FeaturedSite?: 

NO
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: Original grant to Antoni Visser in May 1743. First permanent building in Simon's Town. (There was a building on site by 1740.) Building of similar dimensions as to existing is shown on a plan of 1760. Originally a guesthouse, private residence and bought by the navy in 1814.
Rear-Admiral Sir Jahleel Brenton was the first of many admirals to live here. The building was changed considerably in 1853.
Visual Description:
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition:
Construction Date: pre 1760
Materials:
Catalogue: Simonstown, No: 024, W1, Significance Category:

Admin Comments:
Bibliography archive: Bisset, W M 'A History of Admiralty House, Simon's Town', Navy News, Vol II, No. 6, 1983
 
 

Search form