SiteRecordings

SiteReference: 

RecordingGroup

General

AutoID: 

9/2/003/0033 - Tue, 2012-08-07 02:00

Author: 

sahrisprojectmanager

PrimaryRecording?: 

Yes

Directions: 

SiteComments: 

Archive Import
History: During the 1860’s a powerful movement developed in the Eastern Province to break away from the western areas of the Colony and establish a separate government. When the Cape government under John Molteno opposed the incorporation of Kaifraria in the Cape Colony, Governor Sir Philip Wodehouse strongly supported the secessionist movement, in token of which he convened the 1864 session of Parliament in Grahamstown. On 28th April he opened this session in the Shaw Hall in High Street. After the opening ceremony those present walked in a procession along High Street and through the drostdy gateway to a building which had formerly been the hospital, where Parliament held its sessions.
Shaw Hall was built as a Methodist Church at a cost of R6 000. It was inaugurated on 16th December, 1832, and was known as the Wesley Chapel. It had galleries along three sides and could seat about 800 people. It was used as a church until the Commemoration Church replaced it in 1850, when it was renamed the Shaw Hall in honour of the missionary worker, the Rev. William Shaw.
Bronze Plaque 1946"
Visual Description:
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition:
Construction Date:
Materials:
Catalogue: , No: , Significance Category:

AdminComments: 

 
 

Search form