Sites

9/2/003/0044

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

54

FullSiteName: 

Farmerfield Methodist Church, Albany District

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Group content visibility: 

Public - accessible to all site users

Author: 

Anonymous

FeaturedSite?: 

NO
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: The Farmerfield Estate on which the Methodist church is situated, was established by the Rev. William Shaw to provide for three separate displaced communities speaking Xhosa (Fingo and Gqunukwebe), Dutch (emancipated slaves), and Tswana (refugees of Mfecane). It was named after Thomas Farmer, treasurer of the Wesleyan Methodist Society. The mission church which was built in 1844 was designed by the Rev. Thornley Smith in the neo Gothic style.
When the Farmerfield Estate was disbanded due to the demarcation of the Group Areas Act in 1961, the property was subdivided and portions sold. A servitude on that portion of the Estate now owned by Mr. Neil Wallace Moss ensures access to the church property which are still being used for worship by the local farm labourers and their families.
Visual Description:
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition:
Construction Date: 1844
Materials:
Catalogue: , No: , Significance Category:

 
 

Search form