Sites

9/2/003/0058

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

66

FullSiteName: 

Homestead, Hilton, Albany District

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Group content visibility: 

Public - accessible to all site users

Author: 

Anonymous

FeaturedSite?: 

NO
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: This magnificent double-storeyed bow-fronted Georgian house was erected in 1834 by Richard Gush for the owner Mr A.G. Cumming.
Hilton, originally known as Roodedraai, was owned by a butch farmer Philip Schutte, later by Landdrost Rivers. George Cumming became the owner in 1834 and it was he who was instrumental in the building of the stone church on the farm in 1877 to serve the neighbours
Visual Description: Internally, Hilton has a splendid oval entrance hall in the best classical manner, with wall-niches decorative sculpture and vases. The rooms are high and spacious, with fine fireplaces and the staircase is one of the most gracious surviving in the country.
Hilton is one of only a few houses with the semicircular bow-fronts which were the height of architectural fashion throughout the late Georgian period, which have remained in existence in the Eastern Cape. The only alteration being the slate roof which have been replaced with iron.
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition:
Construction Date: 1834
Materials:
Catalogue: , No: , Significance Category:

 
 

Search form