Sites

9/2/003/0119-002

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

106

FullSiteName: 

54-56 High Street, Grahamstown

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Group content visibility: 

Use group defaults

Author: 

Anonymous
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: These late nineteenth century shops, with their Neo Renaissance façades, form an integral part of the architectural character of High Street, and are an important element in the historical city centre of Grahamstown.
Visual Description: Triple bay facade. Strong cornice and parapet. Heavy pilasters. Round arched windows with segmental arched shopfronts below- originally. Later cast iron verandah. This building which dates from the early 1860’s is double-storeyed with elongated upper windows with arched top sash. The facade which was altered in the 1880’s in the Renaissance style has modulated cornices, rusticated pilasters and arched fenestration. The shop front is deeply recessed to give greater display space and is framed by highly glazed orange and black panels.
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition: Fair
Construction Date: 1860c
Materials:
Catalogue: Radford 1989 (a), No: E.17, Significance Category:

Admin Comments:
BUILDING ON SITE 1863. PRESENT FACADE C1880. SEE VAN DER TIET V1-9. SEE C9 IN PILOT STUDY. Bibliography archive:
 
 

Search form