Sites

9/2/009/0016

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

29464

FullSiteName: 

Methodist Church, York Road, Bathurst

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Group content visibility: 

Use group defaults

Author: 

Anonymous

FeaturedSite?: 

NO
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: Besides St. John’s Church there is a second church with important historical associations in Bathurst. This one, too, has strong links with the history of the 1820 Settlers.
This church was built in 1832 by Settlers who belonged to the Methodist Church, and was inaugurated by the Rev. J. W. Shrewsbury. The roof was originally thatched, but this has been replaced and in the course of time other improvements were carried out. Like St. John’s Church, it also was converted into a fort during the War of the Axe in 1846 and provided a safe refuge for many of the inhabitants of the district, including the Rev. John Ayliff and his family.
Visual Description:
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition:
Construction Date: 1832
Materials:
Catalogue: , No: , Significance Category:

 
 

Search form