Sites

9/2/050/0014/001

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

28252

FullSiteName: 

Daines Wing, Kaffrarian Museum, Alexandra Road, King William's Town

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Author: 

Anonymous
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: The Kaffrarian Museum originated from the Natural History Society, which was founded in King William's Town in 1884. The original museum building, which was designed by the architect P. E. Treeby of Johannesburg and opened by Mrs James Weir on 5 October 1898, was extended in 1953 and linked to the Dames Building in 1974.
This building, originally erected as a public library thanks to the efforts of Thomas Dames, a pharmacist at Grey Hospital, was designed by the architect S. Stent and opened on 23 July 1877.
These two late-Victorian buildings, which have been combined to form the Kaffrarian Museum Complex, reflect Classical and Neo-Gothic elements. The museum, itself is also well-known for its magnificent mammal collection, the largest of its kind in South Africa."
Visual Description: DOUBLE STOREY ELONGATED PLAN BELOW A RIDGED AND GABLED ROOF WITH THE ENTRANCE IN THE GABLE. ENTRANCE IS ENHANCED BY HEAVY COLUMNS AND PLASTER MOULDINGS. COLUMNS SUPPORT A VERY HEAVY PEDIMENT. FENESTRATION MAKES USE OF 2 PANE CASEMENT WINDOWS WITH RAISED PLASTER MARGIN SURROUNDS. THE CORNERS OF THE BUILDING IS PLASTER QUIONED AND THE BUILDING STANDS ON A PLASTER PLINTH. 4 PANE CASEMENT WINDOWS IS USED ON THE FIRST FLOOR OF THE BUILDING. JUST BELOW THE GUTTER IS AN ORNATE CORNICE AND PLASTER MOULDING.
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition: Good
Construction Date: 1877
Materials: CORRUGATED IRON ROOF ON PLASTERED BRICK WALLS
Catalogue: Frescura, 1987 (a), No: 030, Significance Category:

Directions:
PART OF HISTORICAL CENTRE OF THE TOWN
 
 

Search form