Sites

9/2/050/0025

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

28241

FullSiteName: 

Town Hall, MacLean Street, King William's Town

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Author: 

Anonymous
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: The foundation stone of this imposing City Hall was laid in 1866. This stone building was officially opened on 4 December 1867 and during the Ninth Frontier War (1877-1878) it was used as a waiting-room for the Civil Defence Force. Shortly after the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902) large scale alterations were made to the building, which was subsequently re-opened on 6 May 1904.
Visual Description:
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition:
Construction Date: 1866-1867;1904
Materials:
Catalogue: Frescura, 1987 (a), No: 075, Significance Category:

 
 

Search form