Sites

9/2/073/0005

Group

SiteHeader

SiteID: 

27940

FullSiteName: 

Donkin Reserve, Port Elizabeth

SiteCategory: 

PropertyIsSite: 

No

ReferenceList: 

Group content visibility: 

Use group defaults

Author: 

Noncedo.Royi

FeaturedSite?: 

NO
Post date: 07/08/2012
Site Comments:

Archive Import
History: Port Elizabeth owes its origin and development in a large measure to the arrival of the British Settlers in 1820. At the time of their arrival Governor Lord Charles Somerset was on leave in England and Sir Rufane Donkin acted for him from 13th January, 1820, to 30th November, 1821. He changed the name of Algoa Bay to Port Elizabeth in memory of his deceased wife, Lady Elizabeth Donkin, the eldest daughter of Dr. George Markham, Dean of York.
Shortly after the arrival of the British Settlers Donkin had a pyramid of stone buih on the hill above the harbour. On the eastern face of this memorial he placed the following inscription: ""To the memory of one of the most perfect of human beings, who has given her name to the town below"". The inscription on the western side records that Lady Donkin died at Mirat, in upper Hindustan, on 21st August, 1818, in her twenty-eighth year, and that ""she left an infant in his seventh month, too young to know the irreparable loss he had sustained, and a husband whose heart is still wrung by undiminished grief. He erected this pyramid, August, 1820.""
By order of Donkin an area of about 4 hectares around the pyramid was marked off and reserved on 25th July, 1821, not to be alienated, encumbered, or built upon.
Proclaimed 1938"
Visual Description:
Colours:
Site Features:
Condition:
Construction Date:
Materials:
Catalogue: Theron 1983, No: A.6.1.1, Significance Category:

 
 

Search form